Cristina Orobio, M.C., B.Sc.
Registered Provisional Psychologist in Edmonton
Hello! My name is Cristina. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology at the University of Alberta, and then completed my Master of Counselling Degree at City University of Seattle. My fascination with the human brain and my passion for helping people have led me to pursue my education and a career in the mental health field – and I love it!
Over the years, I’ve gained invaluable experience working with children and adults with neurodevelopmental disorders including Autism Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, and intellectual disabilities. I specialize in the areas of trauma- and stressor- related disorders, anxiety disorders, and depressive disorders. I also enjoy providing psychoeducation and teaching valuable tools for emotion regulation and stress management. I have recently pursued my passion for perinatal mental health to support those who are experiencing perinatal mood and anxiety disorders (PMADs) throughout and following pregnancy, and into the early years of parenting. As I have 2 little ones myself, I acknowledge the importance of a work-life balance while managing my own mental health and looking after my family.
Therapy for Children, Teens, Adults, & Couples
Modalities I apply in my practice consist of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFT), and Attachment-Based Therapy. I also utilize Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Mindfulness-Based Therapy, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Somatic Experiencing Therapy (SE) and Play Therapy. I draw upon a combination of theoretical orientations to provide an integrative practice that caters to everyone’s unique needs and goals for therapy.
I aspire to continue providing therapeutic services to children, youth, and adults with various mental health and wellness needs. I strive to implement a strength-based and a Person-Centered approach to establish a strong therapeutic relationship with each individual I work with. My goal is for us to work collaboratively and to work towards meaningful change. I aim to hold a safe and non-judgmental space for my clients especially in times of vulnerability. In my role as a therapist, I am humbled and honored as I walk alongside people in their journey to personal recovery.
In addition to counseling, I am also a university instructor for undergraduate psychology courses. I lecture in several subjects including introductory psychology, atypical development, and developmental psychology. Aside from being an avid learner, I also enjoy being an educator and having the opportunity to share my knowledge and practical experiences in the field.
Outside of work and ongoing professional development, I can be found indulging in savoury dishes and sweet treats from local restaurants. Pre-covid, my husband and I were avid travelers and foodies and we hope to share this experience with our little ones as they grow older. Other things I enjoy doing are hot yoga, baking, playing volleyball, and snowboarding.
AREAS OF SPECIALTY
- Attachment Issues
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Behavioural Issues
- Child & Teen Counselling
- Emotion Regulation
- Grief & Loss
- Life Transitions
- Learning Disorders
- Perinatal Counselling
- Relationship Conflict
- Self-Esteem & Confidence
- Self-harm & Suicidal Ideation
- Stress Management
- Trauma, Abuse & PTSD
- Women’s Issues
- Work / Life Balance
SPECIALIZED TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for Anxiety and Depression, Beck Institute
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Virtual Training Course - Integrating EMDR into your Clinical Practice, EMDR Consulting
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) Skills Training, Jack Hirose
- Perinatal Mental Health Training, Canadian Perinatal Mental Health
- Sandplay Therapy
- Play, Sandplay, & Art Therapy, Canadian Association for Play Therapy
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFT) Essentials, APT Canada
- Mindfulness Skills Training, Jack Hirose
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Somatic Experiencing Beginner, Somatic Experiencing International
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology, University of Alberta
- Master of Counselling, City University of Seattle (in completion)
- College of Alberta Psychologists
- Psychologists' Association of Alberta
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association
- Canadian Association for Play Therapy
Book your session
WITH CRISTINA, SOUTH EDMONTON