Garrett Gooch, B.A., M.A.
Registered Provisional Psychologist in Edmonton
Hello, I’m Garrett, a Registered Provisional Psychologist specializing in helping clients overcome various mental health concerns.
I am a compassionate and growth-oriented counsellor dedicated to helping others on their personal life journeys. Having studied and worked in the mental health field for the majority of my adult life, I have gained a broad range of experience counselling adults of all walks of life. I am committed to helping my clients deal with mental health issues such as anxiety, depression, addiction, PTSD and trauma, work-related issues, gender identity, sexual concerns, stress, body image, sleep issues, grief and loss, as well as life transitions.
In addition to individual psychotherapy, I enjoy helping couples and families navigate their relationships to find greater levels of friendship, intimacy and connection. . By exploring each partner’s perspective in a safe and non-judgmental space, we can break dysfunctional patterns and find solutions to the issues that surface during our sessions. My goal is to provide you with the tools you need to move forward in life and towards more fulfillment, happiness and meaning.
My approach to counselling is trauma-informed, person-centered and collaborative, meaning that we begin wherever you are on your journey and work together from there to meet your goals. I believe that all successful counselling occurs within a safe, trusting and authentic relationship, which I strive to genuinely cultivate with each client encounter. In order to flexibly meet the needs of my clients, I utilize an integrative approach that pulls from several effective evidence-based therapeutic modalities, including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Gottman Method Couples Therapy, Motivational Interviewing (MI), Solution-Focused Therapy (SFT), as well as Mindfulness.
It has always been my greatest passion to help others achieve their goals. Prior to embarking on graduate studies in psychology, I’ve worked as a yoga/fitness instructor and youth care worker in the Edmonton and surrounding area. I have been actively involved in health-promoting community initiatives, developed and implemented psychoeducational groups, and worked with non-profit organizations that are committed to assisting vulnerable populations. In particular, I have worked extensively with the LGBTQ2S+ community, where I have served as a community-based researcher and health advocate for sexual and gender minorities.
When I am not working or studying, I enjoy being outdoors, wandering the Mill Creek Ravine, practicing yoga, or snuggling with one of my 2 cats.
AREAS OF SPECIALTY
- Addiction & Substance Abuse
- Attachment Issues
- Behavioural Issues
- Body Image
- Couples Counselling
- Child & Teen Counselling
- Emotion Regulation
- Family Counselling
- Gender Identity
- Grief & Loss
- Life Transitions
- Learning Disorders
- Pre-Marital Counselling
- Relationship Conflict
- Return to Work Preparation (Work Stress)
- Self-Esteem & Confidence
- Self-Harm & Suicidal Ideation
- Sleep Issues
- Sexual Issues
- Stress Management
- Trauma, Abuse & PTSD
- Work / Life Balance
SPECIALIZED TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Trauma Specialist Training
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Telehealth Certification Training for Mental Health Professionals
- Returning to Work Preparation (Work Stress)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI)
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training
- Mental Health & Suicide Prevention Training
- Substance Awareness & Concurrent Disorders
- Abuse Prevention & Response Protocol
- Positive Behaviour Supports
- Bachelor of Arts, MacEwan University
- Master of Arts in Counselling Psychology, Yorkville University
- College of Alberta Psychologists
- Psychologists' Association of Alberta
Book your session
WITH GARRETT, REGISTERED PROVISIONAL PSYCHOLOGIST, SOUTH EDMONTON
MENTAL HEALTH THERAPY IN SOUTH EDMONTON