Rachel Quong, MSCOT, B.A.
Mental Health Therapist
Registered Occupational Therapist
Welcome! I’m Rachel Quong, a Registered Occupational Therapist in good standing with the Alberta College of Occupational Therapists. I have a deep love for our next generation and am passionate about allowing children and youth to flourish and have fun!
For over 5 years, I have been working in pediatric mental health wearing different professional hats as both a Mental Health Therapist and an Occupational Therapist. It is a joy to support children with mental health concerns such as ADHD, ODD, FASD, anxiety, autism, trauma, and behavioral difficulties from both lenses.
Therapy for Young Children & Parents
I specialize in working with young children (0-7) in the toddler, preschool, kindergarten, and early elementary stages. Common concerns that I support include anxiety, selective mutism, ADHD, emotional regulation, anger, oppositional or defiant behaviors (ODD), developmental delays, and parent child relationship issues. I also enjoy collaborating with parents and families to collectively explore the best supports for their child.
I approach treatment holistically and incorporate knowledge of a child’s psychological, social, emotional, and physical development alongside external factors such as home, school, and daycare life. The modalities I utilize have foundations in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Play Therapy, Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR), Attachment-Based Therapy and parent-management training. These modalities will be appropriately adapted according to your young child’s stage in development.
I have a great love for working with young children and have volunteered and worked with this age range for many years. I also strongly believe caregivers are the experts in their child! Together, we will approach therapy in a fun, collaborative way that is personalized to your and your child’s goals. I look forward to building an exciting and engaging therapeutic relationship with you and your child!
Outside of work I enjoy being creative and dabbling in new activities. Some of my favorite past times include traveling, playing a variety of instruments, snowboarding, aerial silks, and eating.
Occupational Therapy for Children & Adults
AREAS OF SPECIALTY
- Attachment Issues
- Behavioural Issues (Oppositional or Defiant)
- Calming Strategies
- Child Counselling (ages 0-7)
- Coping Skills
- Developmental Delays
- Emotion Regulation
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)
- Grief & Loss
- Learning Disorders
- Life Transitions
- Parenting Skills & Support
- Parent-Child Relationship
- Preschool and Kindergarten challenges
- Relationship Conflict (Peers, Sibling, Parent-Child)
- School Readiness
- Selective Mutism
- Self-Esteem & Confidence
- Sleep Issues
- Trauma, Abuse & PTSD
SPECIALIZED TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Assessments for Children
- Circle of Security Parent Facilitator
- Early Start Denver Model
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Handwriting Without Tears (in Progress)
- Incredible Years Group Training
- Mealtime Miseries (TR-eat® Model)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Play Based Therapy
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI)
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of Alberta
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy, University of Alberta
- Alberta College of Occupational Therapists
- Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists
Book your session
WITH RACHEL, REGISTERED OT & MENTAL HEALTH THERAPIST, EDMONTON