COUNSELLING FOR COUPLES IN EDMONTON
" We know that love makes us vulnerable, but also that we are never as safe and strong as when we are sure we are loved. "
- Dr. Sue Johnson
(founder of Emotionally Focused Couples and Family Therapy; EFT)
Relationships are hard, and when life throws you curveballs, your marriage can be heavily impacted. It is common for couples to get stuck in an ongoing negative cycle, where you both become overwhelmed and unsure of how to move forward as a team. Past hurts continue to pile up and nothing truly gets resolved. We are social beings, so when our relationships suffer, we personally suffer. The good news is that you can repair your bond through effective couples therapy.
Get help with:
- Addiction & Substance Use
- Blended Families
- Communication Issues
- Divorce & Separation
- Emotional Expression
- Life Transitions
- Pre-marital Counselling
- Romance & Sexuality
COUNSELLING FOR COUPLES
HOW COUNSELLING CAN HELP
All couples go through rough patches from time to time. Sometimes we get lost in the turmoil and can't find our way back to our partner. Trust and connection disappear as we lose touch with one another.
We understand the ups and downs that couples can have, and we are committed to helping you and your partner work through the pain together. We work from an Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) and Attachment-Based Therapy approach to help couples establish a deeper emotional connection and gain a deeper understanding of each other’s perspectives, wants, and needs. You will also learn how to express your underlying emotions and desires in healthy, effective ways so that your partner hears you clearly. When this couples therapy approach is used with proper guidance, you will be able to resolve conflict and truly reconnect. Couples therapy research shows promising results when utilizing EFT.
Another couples therapy approach that we often draw upon is The Gottman Method Couples Therapy, which is a scientifically sound method based on 40+ years of research. A comprehensive couples therapy assessment will be done to identify the strengths and challenges of your relationship. You will then focus on emotion, skill-building for managing conflict, developing new skills for enhancing friendship, and creating a system of shared meaning. We believe in providing couples with effective tools and strategies to improve their relationships long-term.
We find it so rewarding to see couples unite and become even stronger than they were before. All of our psychologists are passionate about staying up to date with current research and the best therapeutic modalities for helping couples. We love attending couples therapy conferences all over North America, participating in trainings and workshops, and reading books on love and attachment.
Common reasons that couples attend counselling:
- have a safe place to discuss private matters
- learn effective ways to communicate with each other
- reconnect with each other
- work through past hurts & rebuild trust
- express & work through deep emotions
- deal with anger & arguments
- discuss major life decisions & values together
- have support to navigate blended families
- pre-marital counselling: discuss future goals & expectations
- have support with overcoming addiction
- figure out what each partner truly wants
You will learn tools to help you and your partner:
- reconnect on a deeper emotional level
- gain an understanding of the interaction cycle that gets in the way of your relationship & learn how to transform it
- respectfully talk with each other about the things that really matter
- gain an understanding of each others’ perspectives
- really listen & be heard
- manage anger & conflict
- work through past hurts
- strengthen the spark and passion between you both
* Couples therapy research shows that EFT significantly improves marital satisfaction, with lasting changes evident years after attending therapy (Beasley & Ager, 2019).
* Couples counselling research on the effectiveness of Gottman Couples Therapy Method reveals that it can significantly improve marital satisfaction and relationship intimacy, bringing about enduring positive change to couples (Davoodvandi et al., 2018). The Gottman Method has also been shown to be effective for same-sex couples (Garanzini et al., 2017).
There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness. — Friedrich Nietzsche
Therapists who specialize in Couples Counselling:
Book COUPLES COUNSELLING session
COUPLES COUNSELLING IN EDMONTON
(2019). Emotionally focused couples therapy: A systematic review of its effectiveness over the past 19 years. Journal of Evidence-Based Social Work, 16(2), 144-159.