Vanessa Goodchild, M.C., B.Sc.
Registered Psychologist in Edmonton
Founder & Clinical Director of Solace Psychology
Therapy for Children, Teens & Parents
I enjoy supporting children and teens in learning positive ways to express their emotions and process their personal experiences. This typically involves providing my young clients with a safe, light space to tune into their emotional well-being and provide a gentle listening ear. Together, we learn evidence-based strategies that foster healthy growth and development. When working with children, I often use aspects of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), play therapy, art and sandplay therapy. Supporting parents and guardians with effective parenting strategies is an important aspect of therapy and is a passion of mine. I am keen to provide helpful resources throughout the course of therapy. I also ensure to liaise with children's pediatricians, psychiatrists, teachers, and other professionals in their circle of care.
Common concerns that youth present to therapy with include: ADHD, low self-esteem/confidence, emotion dysregulation, learning disorders, anxiety disorders (social anxiety, phobias, separation anxiety, and generalized anxiety disorder), depression, trauma-related symptoms and other mental health concerns.
Therapy for Adults
A large part of my career also includes working with adult clients as well as couples and families . My areas of specialty include: adult ADHD, anxiety, depression, trauma-related symptoms, burnout, healthy boundaries, pain management, sleep issues, low self-esteem/confidence, and addiction. I have specialized training in providing treatment for individuals who have experienced motor vehicle accidents, using Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy. I also enjoy working with professionals and businesses in the realm of preparing to return to work following medical leave and acquiring work/life balance. I take pride in making therapy as smooth as possible by collaborating with other professionals involved in my clients' care, including insurance representatives, rehabilitation consultants, physicians, lawyers and employers. A major focus involves learning to manage stress and achieve a gratifying and joyful life. I strive to help people obtain overall life balance, in all 8 aspects of well-being.
Having a safe place to voice your concerns and express your emotions can be so powerful. We often get lost in our past hurts and are unable to communicate effectively with those we love, which is where effective, non-judgmental guidance can be helpful. My practice is grounded in respect, integrity, and genuine care for my clients. As I have learned how to manage my own stress and anxiety levels, my psychological expertise is authentic and experiential, and does not just come from a textbook.
I believe in utilizing an integrative approach to therapy as everyone’s life story is different. We will work together to develop effective goals to work towards and I will draw from a variety of therapeutic modalities, including Positive Psychology, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), Mindfulness, and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), among others.
I have always enjoyed helping people through their darkest times so that they can find true meaning in their lives. My professional experience ranges from working in an intensive outpatient clinic for addiction and trauma, to providing short and long-term therapy for community agencies and private practices, to developing and implementing treatment programs across Canada. I have also designed and led psychoeducational groups and support groups for children, parents, and adults.
Supervision & Leadership
In addition to counselling, I provide clinical supervision to Intern Therapists and support to Registered Provisional Psychologists. I value lifelong learning and dedication to the field of psychology.
In my spare time I love to keep active outdoors, practice yoga, travel, read, and spend time with my family and friends.
AREAS OF SPECIALTY
- Addiction & Substance Abuse
- Boundary Setting
- Career Counselling
- Child & Teen Counselling
- Emotion Regulation
- Family Counselling
- Grief & Loss
- Life Transitions
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Pain Management
- Pre-Marital Counselling
- Relationship Conflict
- Return to Work Preparation
- Self-Esteem & Confidence
- Self-Harm & Suicidal Ideation
- Sleep Issues
- Stress Management
- Trauma, Abuse & PTSD
- Women's Issues
- Work / Life Balance
SPECIALIZED TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (for couples)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Positive Psychology
- Trauma Specialist Training
- Solution Focused Therapy (SFT)
- Sandplay Therapy
- Play & Art Based Therapy
- Positive Behaviour Supports
- Stop Now and Plan (SNAP) Core Training, Child Development Institute
- Return to Work Preparation (Work Stress), WCB
- Work-Focused Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (WF-CBT)
- Work-Focused Cognitive Processing Therapy (WF-CPT)
- Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI)
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training
- Mental Health & Suicide Prevention Training
- Substance Awareness & Concurrent Disorders
- Substance Abuse Expert Assessments (SAE)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Abuse Prevention & Response Protocol
- Practicum Supervisors Training, Yorkville University
- Bachelor of Science with Specialization in Psychology, University of Alberta
- Master of Counselling, City University of Seattle
- College of Alberta Psychologists
- Psychologists' Association of Alberta
- University of Alberta Alumni
- City University of Seattle Alumni
Book your session
WITH VANESSA, REGISTERED PSYCHOLOGIST, SOUTH EDMONTON
COUNSELLING WITH A REGISTERED PSYCHOLOGIST IN SOUTH EDMONTON