Vanessa Goodchild, B.Sc., M.C.
Registered Psychologist in Edmonton
Founder & Clinical Director of Solace Psychology
Hello, I’m Vanessa Goodchild, a Registered Psychologist in good standing with the College of Alberta Psychologists.
I have been working in the mental health industry for over a decade with children, teens, and adults who are struggling with anxiety, stress, depression, addiction, ADHD, life transitions, work-related issues, trauma-related symptoms and other mental health concerns. Supporting parents and guardians with effective parenting strategies is a passion of mine. I am also dedicated to working with couples and families as relational challenges can often become too difficult to resolve on our own. I strive to help people achieve overall life balance, in all 8 aspects of well-being. I enjoy working with professionals and businesses in the realm of preparing to return to work and acquiring work/life balance.
Having a safe place to voice your concerns and express your emotions can be so powerful. We often get lost in our past hurts and are unable to communicate effectively with those we love, which is where effective, non-judgmental guidance can be helpful.
My practice is grounded in respect, integrity, and genuine care for my clients. As I have learned how to manage my own stress and anxiety levels, my psychological expertise is authentic and experiential, and does not just come from a textbook.
I believe in utilizing an integrative approach to therapy as everyone’s life story is different. We will work together to develop effective goals to work towards and I will draw from a variety of therapeutic modalities, including Positive Psychology, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), Mindfulness, and Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR), among others.
I have always enjoyed helping people through their darkest times so that they can find true meaning in their lives. My professional experience ranges from working in an intensive outpatient clinic for addiction and trauma, to providing short and long-term therapy for community agencies and private practices, to developing and implementing treatment programs across Canada. I have also designed and led psychoeducational groups and support groups for children, parents, and adults.
In my spare time I love to keep active outdoors, practice yoga, travel, and spend time with my husband, our dog, Bronx, and family and friends.
AREAS OF SPECIALTY
- Addiction & Substance Abuse
- Boundary Setting
- Career Counselling
- Child & Teen Counselling
- Emotion Regulation
- Family Counselling
- Grief & Loss
- Life Transitions
- Pain Management
- Pre-Marital Counselling
- Relationship Conflict
- Return to Work Preparation
- Self-Esteem & Confidence
- Self-Harm & Suicidal Ideation
- Sleep Issues
- Stress Management
- Trauma, Abuse & PTSD
- Women's Issues
- Work / Life Balance
SPECIALIZED TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (for couples)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Positive Psychology
- Trauma Specialist Training
- Solution Focused Therapy (SFT)
- Sand Tray Therapy
- Play & Art Based Therapy
- Positive Behaviour Supports
- Return to Work Preparation (Work Stress)
- Work-Focused Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (WF-CBT)
- Work-Focused Cognitive Processing Therapy (WF-CPT)
- Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI)
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training
- Mental Health & Suicide Prevention Training
- Substance Awareness & Concurrent Disorders
- Substance Abuse Expert Assessments (SAE)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Abuse Prevention & Response Protocol
- Bachelor of Science with Specialization in Psychology, University of Alberta
- Master of Counselling, City University of Seattle
- College of Alberta Psychologists
- Psychologists' Association of Alberta
- University of Alberta Alumni
- City University of Seattle Alumni
Book your session
WITH VANESSA, REGISTERED PSYCHOLOGIST, SOUTH EDMONTON
COUNSELLING WITH A REGISTERED PSYCHOLOGIST IN SOUTH EDMONTON