Andrea Vera Pomez, M.Ed., B.Sc.
Registered Psychologist in Edmonton
Hello, I’m Andrea, a Registered Psychologist in good standing with the College of Alberta Psychologists.
I obtained my Master of Education in Counselling Psychology degree at the University of Alberta in 2018, and also hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology from the Peruvian University of Applied Sciences.
Therapy for Teens, Adults & Families
My specialties lie within providing individual counselling to adolescents, their parents, adults, and families. I also enjoy facilitating workshops directed to adolescents, teachers, and parents on topics such as parenting and social skills.
I see every client as an expert in themselves with the potential to keep growing and achieving their personal goals at any stage of their life. Therefore, I am passionate about helping clients find their strength and potential, and work towards a healthier mental state. My focus is to find the best approach and tools based on each client’s needs in a safe and non-judgmental space, bringing empathy, compassion, and genuineness. As an immigrant from Peru, I also recognize and value the importance of what makes us who we are and the importance of where we come from. I am fluent in both English and Spanish.
I specialize in helping people cope with anxiety, depression, and life changes. I also enjoy helping individuals achieve higher self-esteem and confidence as well as greater overall well-being, allowing you to reach your life goals.
When working with you, I may use tools from different therapeutic modalities such as: Person-Centered Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy (SFT), Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), and Mindfulness.
Outside of work, I love spending time with my family and friends, as well as with my kitty Lima (I named her after the city where I was born, Lima, Peru). Some of my other favourite activities include exploring Edmonton, going to the mountains, and dancing salsa.
AREAS OF SPECIALTY
- Body Image
- Communication & Conflict Resolution
- Coping Skills
- Emotion Regulation
- Life Transitions
- Peer Relationships
- Return to Work Services
- Self-Esteem & Self-Compassion
- Self-Harm & Suicidal Ideation
- Sleep Issues
- Teen Counselling
- Work / Life Balance
SPECIALIZED TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Childhood Anxiety: Finding a Way Through
- Childhood Trauma: Helping Children Heal
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for Trauma Psychwire
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Master of Education in Counselling Psychology, University of Alberta
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Peruvian University of Applied Sciences
- Human Resources Management Certification, University of Alberta
- College of Alberta Psychologists
- Psychologists' Association of Alberta
Book your session
WITH ANDREA, REGISTERED PSYCHOLOGIST, SOUTH EDMONTON