Counselling for Children
COUNSELLING FOR CHILDREN IN EDMONTON
Children are resilient and strong, and can overcome their struggles if given the chance.
The rate of mental illness among children is increasing, particularly anxiety and depression. With the increased use of technology and social media, children’s social and attention skills are declining, leading to a nationwide epidemic. As children are still growing and learning about themselves, other people, and the world, they often express emotions differently than adults. For example, anxiety may be felt more in the body (i.e., tummy aches, head aches, nausea) and expressed through behaviours (i.e., can’t sleep alone, avoids school) rather than words.
Counselling for children can take many forms, depending on the child’s developmental/maturity age and his/her needs. For younger children, sandplay, play and art based methods may be used to help children articulate their emotions and experiences using creativity and imagination. For older children, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) will likely be used to help them gain a better understanding of their inner world and pressures they’re facing.
I believe in empowering children to safely express their emotions by teaching them helpful tools and skills that can be used at home, school, and anywhere else big emotions can pop up. Parenting sessions are encouraged throughout the course of therapy as parents/caregivers are children’s best supports.
Get help with:
- Anxiety, Fears, & Worry (including perfectionism, panic attacks, social anxiety, & separation anxiety)
- Behavioural Issues
- Body Image
- Divorce & Blended Families
- Emotion Regulation (including anger)
- Grief & Loss
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- School Stress
- Self-Esteem & Confidence
- Sleep Struggles
- Social Skills & Boundaries
- Trauma, Abuse, & PTSD
* An initial parent session is required for all children and teens so that I can obtain a complete picture of your child’s struggles. This will involve a discussion of your child’s developmental history, past and present behavioural and emotional patterns, big life changes, and goals for your child’s therapy.
COUNSELLING FOR CHILDREN
HOW COUNSELLING CAN HELP
Counselling offers children a safe space to explore what's going on for them emotionally, psychologically, and behaviourally. If you are unsure if your child should attend therapy, you can book an initial parenting session and discuss your concerns with me. It is a good idea to bring your child in for an emotional check-up, just as they go for their usual physical check-up.
I have taken various specialized child therapy training courses and continue to attend conferences and trainings to stay current with the research. In my Masters program, my thesis was based on child development and the benefits of outdoor play.
Common signs that indicate children are experiencing emotional distress:
- disruptive behaviour
- lying and stealing
- shutting down & isolating
- excessive worry & fear
- significant changes in sleep & eating patterns
- self-harm behaviours (picking, cutting)
- feeling sad or bad about themselves
- trying to avoid going to school
- significant decline in grades
- suicidal statements
- loss of interest in usual activities
Benefits of counselling for children:
- improved friendships & social skills
- higher self-esteem & confidence
- reduced worry & fears
- improved mood
- enhanced ability to express & regulate emotions
- ability to communicate needs & wants
- reduction in problematic behaviours
A person's a person, no matter how small. - Dr. Suess
With all of the guidelines and rules for parenting children in today's world, it can be tough to know what exactly is helpful and necessary. How much device time is acceptable? How much physical exercise do kids need each day? How do I help my child manage their emotions? What works for one child may not work well with your other children.
As a parent, you are one of the most influential people in your child's life. Your child looks up to you and comes to you for comfort. When stressors arise and the chaos of life comes our way, we can lose our way and become overwhelmed easily.
Counselling can offer you a safe, non-judgmental space to process your concerns, and learn effective methods for managing difficult family situations. Just as you want your child to thrive, it is important that you are looking after yourself and wellbeing. Find your balance and inner peace to help regulate yourself and your child in times of distress. All strategies and psychoeducation are based on neurobiological research.
Book CHILD COUNSELLING session
CHILD COUNSELLING IN EDMONTON
CHILD THERAPY WITH A CHILD PSYCHOLOGIST IN EDMONTON