COUNSELLING FOR COUPLES IN EDMONTON
" We know that love makes us vulnerable, but also that we are never as safe and strong as when we are sure we are loved. "
- Dr. Sue Johnson
(founder of Emotionally Focused Couples and Family Therapy; EFT)
Relationships are hard, and when life throws you curveballs, your marriage can be heavily impacted. It is common for couples to get stuck in an ongoing negative cycle, where you both become overwhelmed and unsure of how to move forward as a team. Past hurts continue to pile up and nothing truly gets resolved.
Get help with:
- Addiction & Substance Use
- Blended Families
- Communication Issues
- Emotional Expression
- Pre-marital Counselling
- Romance & Sexuality
COUNSELLING FOR COUPLES
HOW COUNSELLING CAN HELP
All couples go through rough patches from time to time. Sometimes we get lost in the turmoil and can't find our way back to our partner. Trust and connection disappear as we lose touch with one another.
I understand the ups and downs that relationships can have, and I am committed to helping you and your partner work through the pain together. I work from an Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) approach to help couples establish a deeper emotional connection and gain a deeper understanding of each other’s perspectives, wants, and needs. You will also learn how to express your underlying emotions and desires in healthy, effective ways so that your partner hears you clearly. When this approach is used with proper guidance, you will be able to resolve conflict and truly reconnect.
I find it so rewarding to see couples unite and become even stronger than they were before. I am passionate about staying up to date with current research and the best therapeutic modalities for helping couples. I love attending couples conferences in California, participating in trainings and workshops, and reading books on love and attachment.
Common reasons that couples attend counselling:
- have a safe place to discuss private matters
- learn effective ways to communicate with each other
- reconnect with each other
- work through past hurts & rebuild trust
- express & work through deep emotions
- deal with anger & arguments
- discuss major life decisions & values together
- have support to navigate blended families
- pre-marital counselling: discuss future goals & expectations
- have support with overcoming addiction
- figure out what each partner truly wants
You will learn tools to help you and your partner:
- reconnect on a deeper emotional level
- gain an understanding of the interaction cycle that gets in the way of your relationship & learn how to transform it
- respectfully talk with each other about the things that really matter
- gain an understanding of each others’ perspectives
- really listen & be heard
- manage anger & conflict
- work through past hurts
- strengthen the spark and passion between you both
* Research shows that EFT significantly improves marital satisfaction, with lasting changes evident years after attending therapy (Beasley & Ager, 2019).
There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness. — Friedrich Nietzsche
Book COUPLES COUNSELLING session
COUPLES COUNSELLING IN EDMONTON
(2019). Emotionally focused couples therapy: A systematic review of its effectiveness over the past 19 years. Journal of Evidence-Based Social Work, 16(2), 144-159.